Pages - Menu

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Call Me, Maybe? Or Don't...

Have you ever noticed that there are some people that only seem to be in your life for their own benefit? Like, they seem to enjoy being associated with you (or something about you) but they don’t really ever take the time to get to know you, personally? In recent weeks I have seen a few of these situations go too far and it really bothered me even though I wasn’t the one directly affected because we have all been there at some point!

For example, referring to someone a good friend (and going one step farther to use them as a reference) because they have a certain name and/or status within a specific community but you really don’t know anything personal about them unless it has been posted it on social media.

Or when you are personally going through something life changing and then, often through curiosity, a bunch of “old friends” come out of the woodwork and you think that you have a new found support system… until the intrigue has worn off, they all disappear, and then you are back on your own again.

Or it could be as simple as you have something they don’t, so they call when they need it and you never hear from them otherwise!

Speaking of calling, with all the technology advancements we have today I have always found it amazing how some people’s phones only seem to be able to RECEIVE calls (sarcasm intended).

Sometimes I think we need to ask ourselves if we want/need a particular person or if they are simply satisfying a specific want/need. And vice-versa, does this person really want me in their life or am I just satisfying a need for them? Don’t get me wrong, if that is ok for you then by all means continue… but in many cases, personally, I don’t care for it.

I think I have done a pretty good job of removing these relationships from my life over the years and I don’t plan to welcome them back any time soon. I would rather have one true friend, than a hundred of those listed above… and thankfully, I am blessed to have MANY true friends!