Pages - Menu

Monday, July 15, 2013

Two Words

This was originally sent to me by a counselor I have been in touch with. It's amusing so I thought I would share!

Lately my husband and I have been playing the game “Two Words”. You won’t find this game in Wal-Mart or in any of the specialty game stores. You’ll find it right in your own home. I’m sure you’re playing it already, if not with your spouse, with someone you know.
 

This is how the game is played. I’m telling my husband a story with detail. It’s very important to me. After a few moments I notice a look on his face and I say, “You’re not listening.”
 

And he says, “Yes I am.”
 

And then I say, “No you’re not, I can tell.”
 

And he’ll say, “I heard every word you said.”
 

And then he brings back two words from my conversation, just enough to let me know he’s heard something of my story, but I know he hasn’t really heard it all. And yet, the two words are satisfying enough, so I go on. But then I wonder, so I ask him again, “You’re not listening to me, are you?”
 

“Yes, I am!”
 

“Okay, what did I say?”
 

“You said - shorts and sunshine.”
 

Men have an amazing ability when the conversation is not as engaging as they’d like, to leave the room mentally, go hit a few golf balls down the green, shoot some pool, or run the last innings of the baseball game. They also have another wonderful ability to bring back the last 20 words their wife has said when they hear her say, “You haven’t heard a word I’ve said.”
 

“Yes I did, you said something about the colours of the mouse at Disneyworld and how that would look good hanging on the line in the back yard.”
 

You see, that was my test! I inserted some silly words just to find out if he was listening.  Two words? Twenty? Hmmm, am I losing out here?
 

What if we told the men that we also have amazing abilities? When they talk about motors and cars, wheels, or the stats on the hockey game, we women can go away in our mind, shop, pick out colours for the living room, move furniture, solve problems that kids handed to us earlier, and still do all the “hummmms, and ahahs” at the right moment. We don’t even need to bring back two words because our fellow never tests us by saying, “You haven’t heard a word I’ve said.”
 

This is life! We all have such amazing abilities.