Pages - Menu

Sunday, October 24, 2010

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

A very good friend of mine is celebrating her birthday today, so for starters I would like to say happy birthday and best wishes to you! I don’t know what I would do without you sometimes! Thank you for the yummy dinner last night! And, because this friend is very special to me, I wanted to do something extra special for her and I found the perfect gift that I would like to share with all of you as well.

A few weeks ago I was watching an episode of Oprah called “Amazing Animals”. Kristin Davis (from Sex and the City of course) was on the show talking about a program for adopting elephants in Kenya. These elephants have been orphaned usually due to poaching and drought. Kristin’s story can be found here. As soon as I heard the story I went on-line and began to research The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. I knew in a heartbeat that this was something I wanted to do and knew exactly who to do it for.

“Sities” is the little baby elephant that I adopted and is now being fostered by her new “mommy”. You can read all about her on her profile page. There is also a documentary entitled “For the Love of Elephants” about The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust on The Nature of Things with David Suzuki which has already aired on TV but you can also watch it online. Ironically, the little elephant that I adopted before even seeing this show is the starlet of the documentary!

If you can, I encourage you all to show your support. There are so many to choose from, both young and old, and they all have their unique stories posted online. These elephants will capture your heart!