Pages - Menu

Monday, July 19, 2010

Just for Laughs

"A day without laughter is a day wasted."

July has definitely been the FUNNIEST month I have had in a long time. I do not remember the last time I have laughed so hard and so often in the span of a couple of weeks. I am not kidding you, my chest hurts, but it’s a good feeling. For those of you who are not familiar with the Just for Laughs Festival, you do not know what you are missing! Last year we were not able to get to any shows but I think we made up for it this year!

July 3 – Tommy Tiernan: He made a stop in Montreal on his way to the Toronto Just for Laughs Festival. I wanted to see him last year but it was around 60$ and no one wanted to go (and DH was on a business trip). This year, he did 3 nights at the Comedyworks for only 15$ so I couldn’t pass that up! He made me laugh so hard that I cried more than once and it was a great show!

July 13 – John Pinette: A birthday present for my sister-in-law, and a great show! Not as funny as some of the other shows I saw but definitely funny. Glad we went even though I was half falling asleep (exhaustion, not boredom)! Free Willy!!! If you know John Pinette, you know what I am talking about.

July 16 – John Leguizamo: This was a birthday gift for DH but we both know that it was more for me. He got me into John Leguizamo but John keeps me coming back. DH spotted 2 seats in the front row, left hand side, and I was in heaven! At the beginning of the show, he danced around just as I had hoped he would (if he did Dancing with the Stars, I would actually watch) and then he came right over to our side of the stage and stood arms length from me (crotch level, hrm). He did a good 2.5 hours that night and I could have listened to him forever. Some parts were more serious and sullen then I have seen from him in the past but it worked! The best part, though, was when he mooned the audience right in front of us and DH covered his eyes!!! If we didn’t have tickets for another show the next night, I think I would have gone to see him again. I lu-lu-lu-love this man! Watch “Sexaholix” and you will understand what I just wrote! Here's a short clip of John Leguizamo dancing during the intro to "Sexaholix".

July 16 – Lewis Black: He hosted “The Night of a Million Opinions” and I can honestly say that the only opinion I have of this show is that it was boring! This was a last minute purchase and thankfully it was 30% off because it wasn’t even worth that! This show was taped for television so that part was cool; seeing them cut and start again sometimes, panning across the audience, knowing you may have a split second on TV one day…but that’s about it. Lewis Black was funny, but the others… not so much.

July 17: Christopher Titus: This was another birthday present for DH. First we went for dinner at The Keg and once we were done I gave him the tickets. He was happily surprised, although he thought our comedy week was over! I have to say, I used to have mixed feelings about Christopher Titus and this was more for DH but it was an awesome show! We ran into a couple of friends there and managed to get front row seats again and I didn’t stop laughing. As the online synopsis says, the show (called Neverlution) was heavily based on technology, politics, racism, child worship, prescription drug companies, and how fat, lazy, and scared we have become to do anything about those things. It was somewhat cynical but very honest and scarily enough, I agreed with most of what he said!

So, all of the comedy shows are over now but I still have one show left to go this month. On Saturday I will be seeing Sting accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. And, since DH is now in California (for work), I will have the pleasure of going with a close friend who really deserves a night out! Can’t wait!