Pages - Menu

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Letting Relationships Go

"Sometimes, people change and forget to tell each other."
Lillian Hellman

I started to write the other day and it just wasn't coming out the way that I wanted to. I turned to Google for some "keyword" help, inspiration, and ended up stumbling on this article.

I am re-posting excerpts from it because it sums up what I was fumbling with quite perfectly. To read the full article, please go here.

I've Learned Not All Friendships Are Forever by: Jenn Bairos 

… I can't pinpoint exactly the moment things went awry. There wasn't a big blowout or fight that ended it all. It just became clear that our values and interests weren't the same anymore. A tension was growing. I kept hoping that this shift in our fault lines would somehow blow over and things would go back to the way they were. This was a friend I had loved dearly for years. But things were not okay, and it was time to stop pretending that they were… 

There have been 2 or 3 times in my adult life I feel I've had to consciously end a friendship. It seems so juvenile to talk about doing this as an adult, yet it must be a sign of growth. That you're learning more about who you are and who you need in your life… 

It's not easy to end a friendship. Messages are misunderstood; feelings inevitability get hurt. But I can say that afterwards, you will feel lighter and happier. I thought there was going to be this huge hole in my life, but I was wrong. Making this decision created room in my life. For my family. For old friends. For new friends. For me. 

I'm sad for the way things turned out, and I try to look back and remember the good parts of our friendship instead of focusing on the end. But it's time to move on. Channel our inner Elsa and let it go.