Pages - Menu

Monday, May 8, 2017

The End Of A Butterfly

I remember sitting down for my first ever tattoo, about 15 years ago. It was a small vine with a few flowers on it; nothing unique and something I have since covered up. While sitting there, another tattoo artist came in and said “let me guess, a butterfly!” while he rolled his eyes. I responded “Nope, not a butterfly… but when I decide to do one I will bring it your way!”, and I did.

Unfortunately, I have hated it since the minute I got it! Part of me blames the artist, but I know it wasn’t entirely his fault. But now, it is time for it to go!

The dark, gothic, butterfly was chosen during a pretty rough time in my life. Not only was it a rough time, but my ex was blowing up my phone about something or other the whole time I sat through it! And, as if that wasn't annoying enough, when I wasn’t answering my phone he started calling the shop as well! Up and down from the chair, tension between my shoulders, and a generally shit day led to a very deep, dark, and heavy tattoo… which I guess suited me, at the time.

Flash forward, IVF now over, along with a very different outlook on the world and I just can’t stand to look at it anymore. I have a few new designs in mind, but before proceeding with any of them I need to lighten this one up so we can go over it properly.

Today, I start the unpleasant process of laser tattoo removal. I have heard that it hurts far more than getting the actual tattoo itself. Yay! Appointments will be 4-6 weeks apart with very little being done over summer, so this will be a yearlong (and expensive) project I think. Which isn’t a bad thing, because I have so many design ideas that I need time to narrow them down!

So, for now, so long butterfly! You will not be missed!