Pages - Menu

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Home Stretch

Depending which source you refer to, your third trimester starts anywhere between 25-28 weeks which is quite a difference. I am half way through week 27 so we will just assume that this is it! And considering they plan to induce between 38-40 weeks, this means I only have 10-12 weeks left!

Every site I read refers to the likely return of first trimester symptoms; nausea, exhaustion, discomfort, aches and pains, etc… Well, if my third is anything like my first then I don’t expect any of those! I have yet to experience “morning sickness” (unless my sugars were low from GD, then I was nauseous), I am tired now and then but I have never had trouble sleeping, I have no discomfort whatsoever and no aches and pains at all. I have experienced a few excruciating leg cramps but have learned how to deal with them quite quickly and increasing my magnesium intake has worked wonders too. And even though I am drinking about 2L of water a day I don’t even wake up to pee at night; although I realize that will likely start to happen in the coming weeks as my bladder gets increasingly squished. I saw diagrams of what happens to your organs as baby grows; poor bladder!

Anyhow, I really - really - can’t complain!

I guess a lot of this has to do with how well I am monitoring my health overall. For example, I have lost so much weight that a couple of online “pregnancy weight calculators” didn’t even know what to tell me! They calculated that my recommended pregnancy weight gain based on my pre-pregnancy weight was 11-20lbs, but I have actually lost more than 20lbs (closer to 30lbs) so their algorithms got confused. And that was a fantastic moment!

Sure I could have made all of these changes in my life before, but no one had actually diagnosed me with diabetes so I didn’t know that these were changes I had to make and I wasn't really worried. I was always cautioned that I was pre-diabetic, and now I either have GD of full blown diabetes (we will find out after I give birth), but no one ever gave me a plan the way obstetrics did. In either case, some people would view this diagnosis as a curse, a horrible way of life, but it was just another blessing for me!

There is no way of knowing how much weight I have actually lost now, since I am gaining baby weight at the same time as I lose my own, so I plan to wait a few weeks after baby is born and see once and for all what the scale says. Then, I want to come up with a plan to get to my new target weight and (hopefully) stick to it. No more late night bowls of ice cream and getting back on my elliptical will be my first steps!

Yes, that’s right, I have NOT been exercising AND I have been binging on ice cream and STILL losing!

I told DH that all my old clothes are falling off of me and all I can wear now are my new maternity clothes and he just rolled his eyes and asked me why that was a problem! It’s not a problem, really… but this can get expensive if I need to go out and buy yet another wardrobe! Good thing I will have all the time in the world to shop while on maternity leave!