Pages - Menu

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Happy (Belated) Sweet Sixteen Times Two To Me!

So many things have happened over the last week that I just haven’t had the chance to write a thing until now! Let’s get caught up.

Let’s begin by recapping my horrible-turned-wonderful day last Tuesday. So, as you all know I got my beloved Kobo e-reader last year on my birthday. I cannot live without this thing! So, I was just next to work about to get off the bus and the driver slams on the breaks. My purse hit one of the poles and I heard a small crack from my bag but I thought nothing of it at the time. Later, on the way home, I take my Kobo out and see that it was ruined! It won’t turn on, the screen is all grey with black lines through it, and my first thought was “I am leaving in 2 days, I need my book”! Thankfully a friend was with me on the bus or I probably would have sobbed the whole way home (only half kidding). Anyhow, so I get home and I race to the bookstore to buy a paper copy of the book because I really love it and to talk to them about my Kobo. The manager takes one look at it and says “Oh, I’ve seen that before. Why don’t you take a look at the new model” and starts showing me all the features. Now, don’t get me wrong, I loved the new model but really didn’t want to spend another 140$ plus 30$ for a new cover (because the new one is smaller). Reluctantly, I agree, and the guy rings it up and says 80 something dollars. What??? He gave me a 100$ bill credit for my defective Kobo!!! I kept my mouth closed about the damage, took my new Kobo and ran! On the way home I realized that I forgot to buy the book but it was getting late so I didn’t bother going back. But, to my surprise, when I get home a copy of the book is waiting for me in my mailbox! My friend on the bus saw how upset I was and went to the bookstore herself to buy it for me as a birthday present! Oh, and I LOVE the new Kobo so all in all it turned out to be a great day! Thank you for making me smile AND for the book!

So, that was Tuesday. On Thursday, my actual birthday, we set out for the waterslides up north. It was raining at home but the forecast said sunny where we were headed so I bought my tickets online (to save 50%) and we left. And the weatherman was WRONG. Dark clouds, cool winds, and rain rain rain! But, we already had our tickets so we braved it like a couple of crazy people. It turned out not to be so bad all things considered and we had 4 hours of fun followed by a wonderful dinner at a nearby Creperie. And that was where the fun comes to an end. We arrived at our usual spa around 8pm and we were nothing but disappointed. They have renovated so we no longer had our usual room. Our new room was overpriced, moldy and dusty but it was late so we decided to stay and handle things in the morning after breakfast. Hah, breakfast! A tiny cold buffet and they no longer serve hot food like eggs or pancakes. So, after my toast and peanut butter I got into an argument with them about wanting to leave a day early, disagreed on the refund they were offering but ended up accepting it and leaving the spa for the whole day just so we didn’t have to be there. We came back for our massage in the afternoon (because my shoulder is acting up again) and then we went home. We won’t be going back there ever again! I have a long review on tripadvisor if anyone wants to read it and already know the next spa I will be going to instead. A little more money but 5 star service! Oh, and while we were avoiding the spa we did a little shopping at the outlet malls and I bought some new running shoes and a Guess purse that I am in love with!

Saturday and Sunday were just spent relaxing, getting some things done around the house, visiting family and having an interesting slalom across the Champlain Bridge due to hurricane Irene.

And, last but not least, we went out for groceries yesterday and while we were there we bought a small birthday cake since I never really had one. DH even put a candle in it and sang Happy Birthday to me! Awe! So, all in all not a bad birthday this year I guess!