Pages - Menu

Friday, April 19, 2013

Dentists and Greeting Cards

Generally speaking, I haven’t had any dental issues for years. In the last 10 years I have had my last two wisdom teeth pulled but that was it (and they were completely in and just had to be pulled so no big deal). Well, those days have ended – hopefully temporarily! Had my annual cleaning on Saturday, 160$. Found out I need 2-3 fillings thanks to overcrowding of my teeth, lack of flossing, etc… So, I went to have one filling done yesterday urgently because that tooth has been severely sensitive and halfway through the dentist tells me I MIGHT need a root canal; 50/50 chance at this point! I have a temporary filling in now with some medication and should know within the next month if I will require a root canal (to the tune of 1500-2000$ - best estimate at this point). If it is fine, a permanent filling will be put instead for about 150$ again. And next month I go back for the other fillings and that will be around 300$. Oh, and did I mention that I don’t have dental insurance?! Yes, I work for the government and vision and dental are NOT covered! Anyhow… whatever will be, will be…

Also, I have a rant about greeting cards. Why are they so damn expensive? Every April/May this happens to me - tons of events all at once and all of them “need” a card. Thankfully they were “buy 3 and get 3 free” but at 8$ a card that is still crazy! I found a .99 cent section and ended up getting a couple from there as well which were surprisingly nice. Which leads me to my next point… why does the price need to be written ON the card? Do people really need to know if I spent .99 or 7.99? Isn’t it the thought that counts? Personally, I don’t care if you get me a card at all. In fact, don’t! Honestly, I throw them all away within months of whatever occasion it is. I see them in a pile in my office at home and get into a cleaning frenzy and chuck them – so save your money! I think from now on I will black out the prices on the cards I buy because if you so desperately need to know how much I spent then maybe you don’t deserve a card in the first place. That or I will start to make my own like I used to; I am a designer last I checked, right?

Oh, and before anyone says something, yes I am aware these topics are completely unrelated but it all happened on the same day so it makes sense to me!