Pages - Menu

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Farewell to Nana

Yesterday I posted the eulogy that I wrote for Nana, but a friend reminded me that I also said the closing words for the service and that I might want to post these as well. Here they are:

While searching for some inspiration on my closing words, many memorial poems and readings popped up but they were far too dark and gloomy for my tastes. However, amidst all of these, I also fell upon Elton John’s “Candle in the Wind” – the Princess Diana Tribute. It made me laugh because as much as Nana would speak against the monarchy, while cleaning her residence we found a special edition of HELLO Magazine about the past Royal weddings, Princess Diana, as well as “Inside details about Will and Kate”. I never knew my grandmother read the tabloids, let alone those about the Royal Family!

I have always loved this song, and many of the words remind me of my grandmother, so in closing I would like to read a small part of the lyrics, with some creative liberties, in her honor:


It seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never fading with the sunset
When the rain set in
And your footsteps will always fall you
Along England's greenest hills
Your candle's burned out long before
Your legend never will

Goodbye Nana
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the grace that placed itself
Where lives were torn apart
Goodbye Nana
From family and friends - lost without your soul
Who'll miss everything about you
More than you'll ever know