Pages - Menu

Monday, June 18, 2012

From Chick-Lit to Erotica?

Yes, you read the title of this post correctly! What’s happening to me? Years ago I swore I would never read mindless “Chick-Lit”, and then lo and behold I was enthralled by Sophie Kinsella’s “Shopaholic Series”. This led to reading every single one of her books (including the ones written as Madeline Wickham) followed by other authors such as Emily Giffin, Jennifer Weiner, and miscellaneous ones that I picked up here and there.

After I was done with those I actually forced myself to read the “Twilight Series” by Stephanie Meyer (because everybody else was) and – I didn’t hate it! Shocked? I was too! Then I went back and re-read the whole V.C. Andrews “Flowers in the Attic Series” for some reason before jumping on the “Hunger Games Series” by Suzanne Collins which I really liked (first book is far better than the movie in my opinion).

And now? Erotica?? What??? Let me back up a bit…

While DH and I were in Toronto not too long ago he pointed out a big display of books on sale thinking that I might be interested in them. He knows that I devour books but he doesn’t exactly know what I read. I glanced quickly and had no idea what they were so I continued upstairs to get the book I was actually there to buy. Later on, I found out what those books were... the “Fifty Shades Trilogy” by E.L. James. I read about them online and passed them off as plain old trash and swore that I would never read them… but I haven’t stopped hearing about them since!

Now, I have yet to read those but some reviews started commenting on another book and its similarities to the trilogy but they said that it was better written, more mature, etc… so I decide do give it a try. Only the first book is available right now and it is called “Bared to You” by Sylvia Day… and WOW! At first I was shocked (and I don’t shock easily) and was going to stop reading it… but I couldn’t put it down! I would read a chapter here, there and whenever I could. I couldn’t get enough of it. It has dysfunctional characters, passion, lust, intrigue, control, and sex… lots and lots of dirty sex! And… I like it?! Not only do I like it, I have been telling everyone to read it and I can’t wait for the next book to come out in the Fall so that I can see what happens. And, in the meantime, I think I might just read Fifty Shades!

So, as I said earlier, what is happening to me? I have a pile of books at home waiting to be read – books that are NOT mindless, and here I am filling my head with “trash”… and I like it! I guess those other books will just have to collect dust for the summer because my mind is elsewhere apparently! DH, if you are reading this, you can come home now! Do you see what your absence has caused?

Ps. No, I have never read the "Harry Potter" books and I never will! That is one bandwagon I am staying clear of. I tried to watch the first couple of movies  but I couldn't even handle those...